Why does my basement leak?
The main culprit for a leaky basement is water. Whether you own a new home or an old home, water can cause extensive damage to your basement if not treated immediately.
The following are a list of reasons why you may find water in your basement:
Windows and doors
- Ensure that the windows and doors are properly sealed without cracks. Even if a little crack is left for a longer period of time, it can cause damage.
- Check that the basement window has proper drainage and that the well is free from snow, water and ice.
- Plumbing leaks are tricky because they happen within the walls of your home and may not be noticed until damage is already done.
- Inspect your pipes regularly. If pipes are not insulated, they may freeze over the winter and burst, causing water damage in the basement.
Cracks on the outside of your home and foundation
- Regardless if the home is new or old, cracks can appear for many reasons, especially while the foundation is settling.
- Heavy rainfall can seep in through the cracks of your foundation, causing damage. As a home owner, inspect the outside of the home and ensure that there is a slope going away from the home and that there is proper drainage around the home.
- Condensation, or the sweating of the walls/ceiling occurs when there is a high level of humidity in your basement.
- The cause of condensation may be simply because of the warm weather, or because the home is located close to an area of water. Installing proper ventilation or using a dehumidifier can help.
The following list includes common signs of a leaky basement:
- Damp floors or walls
- Stains on walls, ceiling and carpet
- Rust stains
- Stained or warped wood
- Cracked floors
As a home owner, basement leaks are a common problem. Like anything else, maintaining the space will ensure a happy and healthy home. If you suspect water damage but can not identify it on your own, contact a professional to help you determine the problem. Ignoring signs of basement problems can end up with larger and costly repairs. It is important to note common signs of basement leaks to ensure that you tackle the problem right away and to continue to live in a healthy home.